Office Coordinator, Johannesburg
February 19, 2019
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Close Date: This position remains open until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
About Sesame Workshop International
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit organization behind Sesame Street, Takalani Sesame and so much more. Sesame Street is their pioneering television show that has been helping kids grow smarter, stronger and kinder since 1969, and now reaching more than 150 countries. Sesame is a beloved household name in dozens of languages, and it means learning – and fun – in all of them. Takalani Sesame is the South African adaptation launched in 2000 and currently broadcasting on SABC, produced in partnership with Kwasukasukela, the Department of Basic Education and Sanlam. Takalani addresses a range of early childhood development needs from literacy, math, life skills, and HIV awareness to instilling in children a greater sense of self and nurturing their readiness for lifelong learning. The TV and radio broadcast is complemented by outreach programs. As they continue pursuing their vision of creating a better world in which all children reach their highest potential, Takalani Sesame is poised for a new dawn of exciting growth, with a mission to use the combined power of media and play to inspire the builders of tomorrow to grow smarter, stronger and kinder.
About the Role
Sesame Workshop International South Africa has an opportunity for a dynamic, enthusiastic and results driven person to take up the role of Office Coordinator within our growing team which is driving an exciting new vision for Takalani Sesame. With a passion for the Sesame brand, children’s media and early childhood development, you will be responsible for coordinating support to our operations ranging from office administration, communications, travel and accommodation, to coordinating meetings, workshops and other external events. You will also support the Finance & Admin Manager with procurement, financial accounting, HR and payroll processing.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the general upkeep of the office including maintenance, health, hygiene and safety
- Coordinate communications with partners, suppliers and other stakeholders
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the Managing Director and other staff
- Arrange travel and accommodation for South Africa and visiting Sesame staff from New York
- Arrange and coordinate meetings, workshops and other external events including taking minutes
- Coordinate procurement processes including liaison with suppliers/service providers as well as vetting new suppliers through the “Watch List Database” before payments are made.
- Prepare payment requests, including staff expense claims, for review and approval
- Capture new suppliers on the online banking system
- Capture payments on the online banking system
- Ensure that the banking details on supplier invoices match that of the supplier being paid.
- Assist Finance and Operations Manager in the preparation for the annual statutory audit and any donor specific audits.
- Manage disbursement and reconciliation of office cash float
- Capture financial transactions data on Pastel accounting system
- Assist Finance & Operations Manager with payroll processing and SARS returns
- Maintain the Employee Self Service System for leave management
- Maintain HR records, ensuring the highest standards of confidentiality
- Oversee maintenance of company equipment and assets
- Assist Managing Director in setting up meetings through telephone, email and Outlook Calendar
- Perform any other appropriate duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- At least 3 years’ experience in an administrative capacity – experience in an NPO setting is an added advantage
- Passionate about the Sesame brand, children’s media and early childhood development
- Advanced computer literacy particularly in MS Office and Internet
- Knowledge of and/or familiarity with SAGE Pastel Accounting, HR & Payroll systems is a definite advantage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Good interpersonal skills with a pleasant, persuasive and assertive personality
- Ability to work both independently and as the coordinator of a small team
- Dynamic, enthusiastic, open minded and results driven
- Committed to equity, inclusion and diversity
- Valid Driver’s License and willing to travel occasionally within South Africa
- Familiarity with media ecosystem including TV, radio and digital will be an added advantage, so will be an understanding of early childhood development or similar educational interventions.
How to Apply
Applications must be addressed to KM Global Consulting and sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org SWI-OC-SA in the subject line.