About the Graça Machel Trust
The Graça Machel Trust was established to provide a platform to embrace, nurture, enable and inspire women and children to soar to their fullest potential. It consolidates the work of its founder, Mrs Graça Machel, and seeks to build on her legacy to empower new generations to take up the challenges of their times and create caring societies that value social justice. Leveraging her access to key national, regional and global networks and champions, the Trust amplifies the voices of those who otherwise might not be heard in certain spaces. In addition to engaging in direct advocacy and policy influencing with governments and regional bodies, the Trust also works with and through existing and established civil society networks and groups across the region.
The Trust is currently looking for a self-motivated and forward-thinking Nutrition Program Officer (NPO) to support the Trust’s nutrition advocacy work at the global, regional and country level. The NPO will report to the Nutrition Program Manager (NPM) and will be based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule meetings for and manage the NPM’s calendar
- Receive guests on behalf of the Nutrition program, as well as attend and refer to appropriate staff all inquiries and follow-ups from clients, visitors and partners
- Draft responses to email messages and other correspondence for review by the NPM and send out final responses, when requested
- Seek quotes, negotiate, & request payment for program-specific purchases, including but not limited to accommodation, venues for conferences, meetings and seminars
- Arrange travel and accommodation bookings (domestic and international) for program staff as well as others individuals when requested
- Ensure the provision of adequate logistical support during meetings, seminars and conferences such as catering, transportation and others.
- Assist in preparing budgets, invitations, concept notes and reference materials for workshops and other meetings
- Work with the Events and Coordination Officer to register and confirm the attendance of participants/staff to meetings, seminars and conferences and conduct and compile meeting evaluations
- Type up minutes, draft workshop/meeting reports and track follow-up actions from meetings
- Develop and maintain a contacts database for the nutrition program
- Set up mailing lists and assist in maintaining communication with nutrition networks and sharing relevant information
- Conduct research on specific issues, as directed by the NPM and develop briefing notes
- Draft talking points for the NPM’s speaking engagements, as requested
- Ensure the recording of all incoming and outgoing documents, and the timely and accurate circulation of such to the persons concerned
- Facilitate filing and ensure the creation, maintenance and management of files (both soft and hard copy) for workshop reports, donor reports, reference materials, photographs and other records in a systematic manner for easy retrieval.
- Work together with the Communications team to develop and/or compile nutrition content for the Trust’s website, social media activities and other relevant publications.
- Other tasks as may be assigned by the Nutrition Program Manager from time to time.
Qualification and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Science or Social Sciences
- At least 3 years professional experience required
Skills and Competencies
- Highly organized; experience organizing events a plus.
- Strong communication and writing abilities in English with ability to produce clear, focused reports and briefs.
- Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource.
- Pro-active and results-driven.
- Strong evidence of multi-tasking competence is essential; a team player, who is willing and able to adapt to meet tight deadlines and adapt to new priorities.
- Familiarity with trends in nutrition, particularly in the SADC region.
- Advocacy experience, particularly in the health and/or education preferred.
- Ability to work independently and in ‘virtual’ teams, as much of the implementation will be done through partners at country level, while the post is based at the Graça Machel Trust offices in Johannesburg.
- Ability and willingness to travel both locally and internationally, as required;
- Understanding of Portuguese or French would constitute an additional asset.
How to Apply
Since the Graça Machel Trust has requested KM Global Consulting with the recruitment of their Nutrition Programme Officer, all applications must be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org stating GMT-PO-RSA in the subject line.