About Habitat for Humanity International
Founded in 1976, Habitat for Humanity a global Christian-based nonprofit organization which grew out of an intentionally multi-racial community in rural Georgia. Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat brings together people of all faiths and people of no faith to build homes, communities and hope. Working alongside each other, they help families and individuals build and improve places to call home and achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves. Habitat for Humanity seeks individuals who have a willingness to affirm these principles and values.
About Habitat for Humanity Lesotho
In Lesotho, Habitat for Humanity seeks to empower and transform communities in Lesotho by providing decent, clean, and affordable shelter to Basotho families. Their programme falls under the Vulnerable Group Housing (VGH) programme as they work with disadvantaged groups in society to access decent housing solutions. Since 2007, they have worked with and for families with Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) as their key beneficiaries.
The National Director (ND) provides overall leadership and management to HFHL and guides the development and implementation of HFH Lesotho strategy. The ND will represent HFH Lesotho vision, mission, and values to all stakeholders. The ND will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization by ensuring effective resource mobilization, financial and programmatic support/management to staff and partners, partnership development and communications.
In collaboration with the HFHL Board of Directors and HFHI, the ND ensures that the mobilization of resources is adequate to achieve short-term and long-term strategic goals; develops and implements, together with staff and HFHI, a fund-raising strategy that mobilizes resources through diversified constituencies. The ND has a matrix reporting line to the HFH Lesotho Board of Directors and HFHI AVP – Africa Area Office and will supervise the Programme, Fundraising, Finance, and the Operations units at NO level.
Key Performance Area
Strategy, business development and institutional representation
- Guides the development and implementation of HFHL strategy and long-term business plan that leads to increased positive impact on access to decent and affordable housing in Lesotho.
- Models’ servant leadership and preserves, upholds, and promotes Habitat for Humanity mission, principles, and core values.
- Ensure Country Strategy performance and monitor and identify and inform about internal or external risks, which affect the strategy implementation as well as contingent opportunities to be taken for program strengthening and development. Propose corrective measures in case of deviations.
- Identify opportunities to enhance HFH Lesotho positioning & pre-positioning, visibility, strategic alliances, and funding opportunities related to the National Office.
- Ensure the participation of HFH Lesotho in inter-organizational spaces for coordinating actions in Lesotho and the active engagement of the organization within multi stakeholders’ platforms, task forces and working groups, attending meetings as per relevant sectors, especially on Housing.
- Manage relationships in country with all relevant stakeholders, such as local and international NGO’s, Universities and Research institutes, private sector, Embassies and its cooperation agencies, ECHO/EU offices, UN agency, local authorities, among others, which may lead to a greater impact of the strategy and the NO program, better levels of positioning as well as to generate business development opportunities.
- Facilitate sharing and learning across other HFH National Offices & Affiliates, HFHI and national organizations working in Lesotho.
- Work with the Senior management team and the Board of Directors in Lesotho in cultivating strategic partnerships or relationships with new/existing donors to further strategic development opportunities.
Operations and compliance management
- Ensure compliance with all legal obligations of the Organization, internal policies, and regulations.
- Lead and supervise the performance of the country team with transparency, integrity, control, and quality; to provide timely and accurate internal and external accountability.
- Coordination with the SMT, lead the annual planning and budgeting process, and manages the implementation of the plan and reporting of measurable outcome.
- Ensures the organization’s programme achieves scale, efficiency and effectiveness, and sustainability.
- Oversees programme planning, management, and evaluation through implementation of innovative partnerships and Housing Technologies.
- Ensures and demonstrates good stewardship of resources, and maintains professional relationships with consultants, contractors, and service providers.
- In consultation with the HFHL Board of Directors ensures the fiscal, legal, and programmatic integrity of the organization including accurate and timely reporting to relevant country statutory authorities, to HFHI and to donors.
- Identifies and introduces best practices, benchmarking with likeminded organizations for enhanced impact and performance.
Implementation and reporting
- Supports the Program manager on the program and project development; validate project budgets, operational plans and assure that the interventions are aligned with the NO strategy, objectives and budget allocated for the relevant activities and approved by the board and HFHI Africa Area Office.
- Management and technical support, to ensure high quality of the interventions to achieve synergies and complement projects and partners.
- Ensure that the projects count with a proper MEAL plan and supervise its implementation. Identify deviations and/or opportunities to be taken and proposing or approving corrective measures.
- Ensure proper reporting (technical and financial) to HFHI using the institutional monitoring and reporting tools.
- Responsible for the open and effective communication between team members to ensure timely implementation of project activities and reporting to donors.
- Ensure that effective financial administrative systems governing the project activities are in place and are in line with HFHI and donor requirements.
- Ensure adequate information flow regarding ongoing operations for both management and external communication.
Talent and People management
- Validate the HFH Lesotho structure to ensure its fit for purpose to maximize the efficiency of the NO team.
- Participate in the recruitment process for key positions integrating DEI principles as per the HFHI guidelines.
- Identify training and capacity building needs for team career (technical and behavioral) growth and efficiency.
- Ensure implementation of the HFHI Performance management system to enhance individual & team performance and accountability.
- In coordination with HR, ensure work force planning for optimum utilization of human resources, identify key staff in the NO, recommending them to national or international cross-cutting projects as part of capacity building and succession planning.
Resource Mobilization, Fundraising and strengthening of the Program
- Ensure the sustainability of the Program through the develop and implementation of a Fundraising strategy which include the current donors supporting HFHL and others.
- Ensure and support the HFH Lesotho team in developing innovative and strategic project proposals, based on the meaningful participation of the local partners, community, and other relevant stakeholders to consolidate and expand Lesotho Program operations.
- Coordinate current and future HFH Lesotho projects with different donors, seeking for opportunities to expand and deepen relationships.
- In coordination with the SMT and other relevant staff and local partners, lead the identification of new initiatives and opportunities that respond to identified needs of the NO strategy and support resource mobilization activities for new opportunities identified in coordination with HFHI Area Office and HQ
- Support HFHL team, field program staff and partner organizations on proposal development and design, including gathering information for concepts and proposals; oversee, lead or co-ordinate proposals and needs assessments.
Relationships and advocacy
- Represents HFH Lesotho before the public authorities and other actors and as the main liaison person of HFHL with the media.
- Identifies, develops, and maintains effective relations with all stakeholders, including government, bi-lateral and multi-lateral agencies, donors and sponsors, partners and homeowners, and the public at large.
- Develops and implements, together with staff a Communications strategy to promote the organization programme and brand and visibility.
- Develops and implements, together with staff and the support of HFHI, an Advocacy strategy to promote policies and systems that advance access to affordable and decent housing.
- Promote and participate in campaigns and events to raise awareness, advocacy, or funds.
- Oversees the development of the HFH Board relationship with the staff.
- Ensures HFH Board of Directors’ resolutions are implemented.
Contingency Planning, Safety and Security Management:
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by HFHI guidelines, policy, and NO security plans.
- Proactively ensure that staff and visitors operate in a secure environment and are aware of safety and security policies and procedures.
- Maintain oversight of the larger context and any humanitarian developments in Lesotho and ensure that HFHI can concisely remain informed of the pressing humanitarian issues and current challenges
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in international development/relations, public administration, business administration, economics, housing, and urban development, and/or social sciences.
- Post graduate studies in development studies, project management or related fields.
- Continuing education in relevant fields such as NGO management, board development, resource mobilization, monitoring and evaluation, communications, and in country or region-specific issues is an advantage.
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in housing finance and/or micro finance or urban planning, housing development or social sciences, relevant to human settlement and community development in Sub-Sahara Africa.
- At least 5-year experience in Country/National leadership position managing donor-funded projects/programmes, Community development experience will be a significant added advantage.
- Experience in non-profit/NGO resource mobilization including proposal development, plus a local and/or international network of prospective donors and constituencies.
- Experience in serving on or in the development of non-profit/NGO boards of directors.
- Knowledge of housing issues in Sub Sahara Africa, and in particular affordable housing.
- Proven experience in change management, leading and managing staff, including recruitment, staff development, training, mentoring and performance assessment.
- Demonstrated financial management competence, including the management, and monitoring of budgets, agreements, MOUs, and contracts.
- Experience in programme and project management.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation and other program quality/effectiveness & development approaches.
- Excellent communication skills, confidence in handling prominent gatherings, media, and events.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally.
Skills and Knowledge
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate with internal and external audiences
- Ability to advice and support field staff in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities. Must be organised and efficient.
- A sound understanding of DEI awareness.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with a wide variety of staff with different cultural background.
- Committed to HFHI principles.
How to Apply
All applications must be sent directly to email@example.com stating HH-ND-Lesotho in the subject line.