OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. Its vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals, and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these 10 countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA is part of a network of autonomous Open Society Foundations, established by George Soros, located in Eastern and Central Europe, the former Soviet Union, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the US.
OSISA recently underwent an internal organizational review process aimed at enabling it to better respond to the challenges and needs of countries in the region in achieving open society and to deliver on its new 2014-2017 strategy.
The Programme Manager will be responsible for the planning, management and implementation of HEALTH programmes within the Economic Social Justice cluster. S/he will be required to identify opportunities for grant making within the HEALTH programme and manage the provision of grants to key national and regional partners. He/she will play a strong role in facilitating networks amongst OSISA partners within the HEALTHProgramme and in convening dialogue and debate on issues relevant to OSISA’s overall mandate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Programme Initiation
- Actively identifies opportunities within the programme that are aligned to the OSISA strategy.
- Works with the Economic Social Justice Cluster Team Leader to develop the strategy, work plan and budget for the relevant programme portfolio.
- Initiates and facilitates research and knowledge necessary to maximise programme development and/or initiation.
- Collaborates closely with programme staff from Country Offices and other OSF Foundations and networks in initiating and developing programmes.
2. Programme Implementation
- Working closely with other programme managers, the programme manager will ensure the integration of his/her programme within the programme unit and across the organization.
- Oversees the financial and administrative management functions of the programme.
- Ensures compilation of budgets in accordance with budget policy and regulations.
- Ensures the programme’s compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
3. Programme Impact
- Ensures joint and collaborative work with other programmes to ensure maximum impact from OSISA programmes.
- Stays updated with developments in the sector throughout the region and globally, and participates in strategic discussions at the regional and global levels in order to keep informed of issues, concerns and needs.
- Continuously monitors and measures the impact of the programme against objectives set and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Coordinates and cooperates with programme partners and grants beneficiaries. Liaises with relevant staff members of OSISA in the region to promote coordination and synergy.
4. Grant Making
- Works with the Grants Manager to identify and manage pre and post award compliance issues as well as reporting requirements.
- Responsible for due diligence, managing and tracking grants within his/her portfolio.
- Actively develops strategies to strengthen the capacity of grantees to become more effective and accountable in managing grants.
- In collaboration with the M&E and Learning Officer, develops a monitoring and evaluation plan for his/her programme.
- Ensures timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting from grantees.
- Develops competency and technical understanding on the use of the Grants Management system (GMS).
5. Communication and Advocacy
- Identifies key opportunities for the promotion of OSISA ideals.
- Working closely with the Economic Social Justice Cluster Team Leader and the Communications Manager, develops advocacy initiatives related to programme issues at regional and national level.
- Collaborates with communications unit to promote and communicate programme activities.
- Ensures open and effective communication with other programmes and across the organisations.
6. Work Environment and Staff Development
- Ensures a conducive working environment which promotes staff development, wellbeing and productivity.
- Promotes teamwork, collegiality and effective communication within and between programmes and operational units.
- Integrates the organizational values into the performance of tasks within and across programmes.
- Ensures consistent standards of excellence within the programme.
Minimum Qualification Required
- A Masters Degree in Social Science, Development or field related to human right and HEALTH programme.
- At least 5 years experience working as Programme Manager in Southern Africa in a bilateral, multilateral, civil society, regional organisation setting.
How to Apply
Since OSISA has requested KM Global Consulting with the recruitment of this position, all applications must be sent directly to email@example.com stating the reference OSISA-PMH-RSA in the subject line.