Oxfam South Africa is a new, independent organisation whose mandate begins but extends beyond South Africa. Oxfam has been engaged with social justice in South for more than 50 years, a legacy OZA consolidates and deepens. OZA has developed an ambitious Strategic plan aimed at advancing social justice in South Africa and beyond, with a focus on addressing the systemic roots of poverty and inequality.
Oxfam International, one of the leading global development organisations, is driven by a vision of a just world without poverty and mobilises the power of people to achieve that vision. Oxfam is a diverse confederation of 17 strongly interconnected national affiliates working in over 90 countries, either directly, or with partners to enable transformational change, using a unique combination of long-term development, campaigning and humanitarian programmes.
The Oxfam Confederation is currently undergoing a period of transformational change which envisions a future where we are a more interdependent network, driven more by knowledge, organised for more simplicity internally and more globally balanced. Oxfam strives to have affiliates in southern countries that are autonomous, can raise their own funds, run their own programs, make their own alliances with local people’s movements, and lobby their own governments and businesses. OZA is the first African organisation that will become a full affiliate of the one Oxfam global network (Oxfam International Confederation).
Oxfam South Africa attaches great importance to an efficient and effective delivery of program and in diversifying its donor base. OZA aims to grow to a medium-sized organisation in the next 3-5 years and to have greater engagement with stakeholders in South Africa, including individuals and corporates.
About the Role
The Head of Fundraising, Comms and Marketing is a key position that will support team members in South Africa and aspects of our work in the region, in raising resources. The role will lead the implementation of OZA’s fundraising Strategy and must have experience in raising funds from individuals and corporate organisations. The individual will be dynamic, innovative, entrepreneurial, with experience and strengths in those core functions. S/he should have the ability to visualize long term strategy for Oxfam South Africa and align short term goals to that. The Head of Fundraising, Comms and Marketing will be a key member of the Oxfam South Africa Senior Leadership Team and have the opportunity, with others, to significantly shape the direction of the organisation.
Purpose of the Role
To lead and manage Oxfam South Africa’s fundraising and engagement with the public; encompassing fundraising, communications and marketing activities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Leadership
- Design, create, lead and manage a Fundraising, Communications and Marketing Department to comprise fundraising, communications, marketing & media teams.
- Develop a longer-term vision and strategy for marketing and fundraising which engages a wider range of stakeholders.
- Supports the delivery of the Oxfam South Africa strategy, ensuring a positive and consistent message to all target audiences and stakeholders including government, media, NGO sector, donors, supporters, volunteers, staff and the wider public. This encompasses fundraising, internal and external communications, brand consistency, identity and positioning.
- Provide strategic leadership to the organization as a member of the senior leadership team of a growing organization.
- Develop short term goals in line with the overall long-term fundraising and marketing strategy
- Position Oxfam in relevant external forums, including with donors, corporates, Industry associations
- Engage and work with the Board of Directors and its Fundraising Committee to implement their directional inputs. Attend annual global Oxfam International group meetings and other forums on behalf of Oxfam South Africa.
- Lead the implementation, review and delivery of an innovative and ambitious fundraising strategy with clearly articulated targets.
- Actively engage in and supervise fundraising and proposal development when necessary.
- Raise and meet ambitious fund-raising targets for the organization through both public and institutional fundraising, including among others, individuals and corporates (public and private sector).
- Ensure OZA develops strong and impactful engagement with the public, major donors, corporates, trusts, foundations, and institutions.
- Maximise total net income and return on investment, protecting unrestricted income and ensuring growth in sustainable income streams.
- Develop and operationalize various product offering and channels, and monitor performance
- Oversee the analysis, monitoring, evaluation and review of all fundraising and marketing campaigns and share that analysis regularly with the Senior Management team and various fundraising groups across the Confederation.
- Reporting of fundraising progress and income to both the Oxfam South Africa Board and Oxfam Confederation.
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of a fully integrated communications and marketing strategy.
- Lead on developing and strengthening the impact of Oxfam South Africa brand.
- Provide strategic communications advice to the Executive Director Actively participate in and contribute to Oxfam forums and ensure that fundraising, brand and communication strategies are aligned to Oxfam’s identity and global strategies.
- Effectively use social media to reach out to stakeholders.
- Manage Oxfam South Africa’s reputation through the development of a proactive, strategic program of issue-driven media and other communication activities.
- Plan, and manage the departments’ annual program of activities to achieve all targets, with particular emphasis on income targets.
- Develop and monitor policies and procedures for fundraising, marketing and communications in line with South African law and Oxfam’s global policies and procedures.
- Evaluate trends in the fundraising market and accordingly design & mix activities, products and related campaigns & events.
- Ensure strong financial management and accountability throughout the department.
- Develop and implement effective systems and processes for fundraising and donor relations. Overall responsibility for strategic management of donor relationships, including ensuring the organisation’s CRM systems are updated and compliant at all times
- Manage the Oxfam brand with the aim of enhancing brand value this is usually for products in South Africa through innovative marketing techniques.
- Overall responsibility of capacity building of all Fundraising staff and their motivation and employee satisfaction.
- Build team capabilities and understanding of Oxfam South Africa values.
- Overall responsibility for developing & achieving of annual marketing budget. Plan and manage the departmental budget and expenditure in line with Oxfam South Africa’s policies on financial management, sustainability and best value to ensure maximum return on investment.
- Coordinate with other departments for effective implementation of donor commitments and timely reporting.
- Develop mechanisms for effective donor servicing.
- Act at all times in the best interests of Oxfam while continually promoting the vision and mission within all sections of the community, as well as the media and at appropriate events.
- Any other tasks within the scope of the role as agreed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience of which at least 4 years is at a leadership/senior management level in a growing development organization with a successful record in leading and managing fundraising and/or sales strategies and teams.
- Extensive demonstrable relevant senior management and leadership experience in a complex and diverse environment including:
- Strategic planning, management and execution
- Facilitative & collaborative management and leadership of a diverse team
- Budget development and financial management, as well as financial reporting and analysis
- In-depth knowledge of the South African fundraising market in all available income streams, in particular public Fundraising.
- A good understanding of the donor profiling and consumer behaviour in a changing society.
- Strong numeracy and ability to interpret financial data, budget and to monitor income and expenditure.
- Understanding of different fundraising channels like key account sales, DRTV, Face 2 Face, Telemarketing, Direct Mail, online, etc.
- Strong experience of digital marketing and communications.
- Extensive relevant senior management experience and knowledge in fundraising, communications and Marketing.
- Detailed understanding of practices and precedents in the areas of public engagement strategies.
- An understanding of the role Oxfam plays within the NGO sector and the South African political environment and how this can be leveraged with supporters and donors.
- Proven ability to work across the organisation to create and deliver against strategic plans.
- Proven ability to build internal and external relationships which deliver on organisational and departmental goals.
- Strategic thinking, entrepreneurial flair, forward thinking, innovative and dynamism with a problem-solving approach.
- Excellent organisational, analytical (conceptual thinking), numerical, problem solving and time management skills.
- Strong commitment to Oxfam’s mission and values.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office.
- Flexible approach to working hours – ability and willingness to work evening and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to travel a minimum of at least 8 weeks in a year.
How to Apply
All applications and queries must be addressed to KM Global Consulting and sent directly to email@example.com stating OXFAM-FCM-RSA in the subject line.