Oxfam South Africa is a new, independent organisation whose mandate begins in, but extends beyond South Africa. Oxfam has been engaged with social justice in South Africa for more than 50 years, a legacy OZA consolidates and deepens. OZA has developed an ambitious Strategic plan aimed at advancing social justice in South Africa and beyond, with a focus on addressing the systemic roots of poverty and inequality. OZA believes that women’s equality and gender justice is central to a just world without poverty. To this end, OZA will be launching an ambitious programme and campaigns aimed at advancing women’s rights and gender justice.
About the Role
OZA is looking for a competent and suitably qualified Projects Officer, who will provide support and co-ordination for the implementation of OZA projects and programmes focusing on women’s rights and gender justice, within South Africa and broadly. The Projects Officer must be knowledgeable and passionate about women’s rights and gender justice issues, be able to pay meticulous attention to detail while having the flexibility to work in a dynamic organizational context. S/he must be a problem solver, able to think on their feet and be ready to be deployed to support across multiple organizational programme functions.
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Programme Support and co-ordination
- Support and coordinate the implementation of OZA projects and programmes focusing on Women’s Rights and Gender Justice.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools
- Ensure that all the activities of the project will be implemented according to the approved project proposal and work plan
- Plan the monthly activities and, if necessary, reschedule the timing and the contents of the activities in order to achieve the expected results of the project
- Draft progress reports in compliance with the internal monitoring procedures of OZA and its donors;
- Establish and implement a MEAL system based on the Project’s Logical Framework (LF);
- Liaise with identified key stakeholders to ensure their involvement on an ongoing basis;
- Upkeep of communication among the partners so as to facilitate execution of programme activities
- Ensure that all the inputs provided by the Project Partners and the identified stakeholders are taken into consideration
- Manage all of the administrative aspects of the project according to the internal procedures and Donor requirements
- Ensure a team work approach and a constant and full involvement of the local communities in the implementation of activities
- Manage the logistics of the project and help in preparation of all project related meetings and events, including the procurement of goods and services and the coordination of service providers
- Maintain and update the project’s archive and other project materials for dissemination to different target audiences
- Assist internal and external monitoring and evaluation teams during their missions;
- Other duties may be assigned;
- This position will require a minimum 8 weeks travelling, and incumbent might be required to spend substantial periods in one or other OZA project locations.
- Able to Perform other roles as required.
Skills & Competencies
- Minimum of two years experience of project management related activities in the public or private sector
- University degree in Social Sciences, Project Management or Development Studies is required
- Experience in logistics and project co-ordination and accounting
- Experience in grant making and grant management processes is preferable
- Knowledge and understanding of result-based management (RBM) and logical framework (LF) approach;
- Knowledge and direct experience with South African government institutions;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and ability to operate e-mail/Internet systems.
- High Command of written and spoken English and at least one indigenous South African language will be advantageous
- Flexible and able to work in a demanding, fast-paced work environment
- Strong Communication skills (oral and written)
- Time management and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to manage relationships (working in teams in multicultural environments, communicating information and ideas, conflict and self management)
- Capable of managing multiple responsibilities and demands
- Problem solving capacity
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience in management of development projects funded by international donors in an NGO/NPO environment
- Excellent communication skills for lobbying and media work. Ability to communicate complex issues in a clear manner is essential
- Sensitivity towards gender, sexual, ethnic and cultural identities.
- Ability to motivate and inspire colleagues to achieve at a high level.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively is essential
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize work in a complex institutional setting is essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English and excellent report writing skills
- Computer literate and conversation with social media platforms
How to Apply
All applications and queries must be addressed to KM Global Consulting and sent directly to email@example.com stating OXFAM-POWRGJ-RSA in the subject line.
Deadline: 26th June, 2015