Close Date: This position remains open until filled
Start Date: ASAP
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a regional non-profit policy think tank whose purpose is to facilitate the translation and utilization of research evidence to strengthen policy development and program effectiveness in Africa. AFIDEP works to close the gaps between research, policy, and practice by synthesizing and repackaging research evidence, and proactively promoting research utilization by policy-makers and development practitioners at national and regional levels. AFIDEP’s work focuses around three core thematic areas: Reproductive Health, Health Systems Strengthening; and Population Change
and Sustainable Development. AFIDEP’s head office is in Nairobi.
Purpose of the Department
Enhance AFIDEP’s performance through focus on quality programme design, implementation, and innovation in accordance with AFIDEP’s strategy. Specifically mobilize resources for knowledge translation, policy engagement and capacity building programmes and ensure that all AFIDEP projects/programmes are
managed and implemented according to expected high quality standards, in a timely manner, and within budget.
Purpose of the Job
Provide leadership in development, management and coordination for all AFIDEP’s technical programmes in innovative and financially sustainable manner. The Director should provide this leadership in all thematic areas of AFIDEP’s work, currently Health Systems Strengthening, Reproductive Health, Population Change
and Sustainable Development. Proactively develop and manage relationships with key partners including policy makers, donors and other development partners.
Lead, Develop and Manage Program:
- Lead the translation of AFIDEP’s strategy into programme design and interventions
- Develop and direct the programme work of AFIDEP in accordance with sound development and management practices; and within policies, procedures and accountability systems of the institute.
- Provide leadership to thematic programmes in development of innovative programme interventions that respond to research evidence on AFIDEP’s core areas of focus.
- Ensure integrated and coordinated development and management of programmes within the context of AFIDEP’s mission.
- Provide management and supervision to Heads of programmes and among different programs to ensure quality and effective programme delivery.
- Ensure all programme activities are sensitive to and responsive to changes in the political, social, and economic environments.
- Ensure all staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organisation standards.
- Provide best practice models and tools to ensure quality programme design and implementation.
- Ensure effective coordination, design and implementation of programs including effective and critical monitoring and evaluation to help learn and refine AFIDEP work further.
- Help create a workspace that thrives on innovation, new ideas and continuous learning.
- Provide critical thinking and analysis to all work and increase the level of analysis and throughout consultation in programme design and implementation.
- Lead the develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the institute
- Develop and operationalize long term goals and objectives, including strategic plans
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the organisation and identify areas for improvement
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the programme
- Ensure all project funds are managed according to established accounting policies and procedures and according to the approved budget.
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures and manage a system for regular monitoring of budget expenses and associated variations
- Ensure that financial and technical reports for funders are submitted in a timely manner
- Ensure technical input required for generation of invoices is provided according to agreed plans/established timelines
- Lead development of funding proposals and engage donors and partners to ensure sustainable flow of funding
- Deliver of overall program and work plan and activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the organisation
- Ensure adequate funds, equipment and facilities for programme implementation
- Communicate with partners and other stakeholders to build support and to solicit input to improve Director of Research Programmes Job Description and Accountability the program quality and accountabilities
- Mentor research staff in scientific writing
Programme Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation
- Oversee the development and operationalization of a monitoring and evaluation framework in line with AFIDEP set of performance indicators and targets to effectively track and communicate results of Programme interventions over the strategy period.
- Devise and oversee operationalizing of performance management systems, including instituting a system to monitor the programme activities on a regular basis and conduct a semi-annual and an annual evaluation according to the programme evaluation framework.
- Conduct independent mid-term and final evaluations of AFIDEP’s strategy to assess progress made towards the achievement of mission priorities and take remedial actions where necessary.
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with programme activities and take appropriate action to control the risks.
- Write reports on research translation programmes to management, donors and other partners
Development and Management of External Relations and Networks
- Establish and maintain effective relationship with various organizations and governments to captivate demand and goodwill for AFIDEP’s work, and optimize the impact of its work
- Establish and leverage partnerships with governments, development partners, and other stakeholders at national and regional levels to influence policies.
- Manage and encourage co-operative relationships established with various specialist institutions and ensure that these joint initiatives conform to programme objectives.
- Ensure an effective system for mapping and monitoring funding opportunities and rapid response mechanisms to respond to funding opportunities.
- Establish and develop working relationships with key donors and actively develop local funding sources appropriate to AFIDEP’s resource needs and fundraising plans.
Human Resource Development and Management
- Ensure the optimum utilisation and development of programme staff talent
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit and mentor qualified programme staff.
- Ensure all staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organisation standards
- Implement a performance management for all program staff
- Oversee engagement of volunteers/interns for appropriate program activities using established volunteer management practices
- PhD in public health, demography, economics, sociology or related social science.
- At least five years experience in a senior management role focused on programme management;
- At least 10 years’ experience in research/knowledge management or generation and dissemination;
- Sustained track record in scientific publications and translation of evidence into policy oriented formats;
- Proven track record in writing of grant applications, resource mobilization and engagement with donors
- A good understanding of the operations of the government, and proven experience in engaging government officials, development partners and other stakeholders at national and regional levels;
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, innovation with the ability to design new programmes and provide technical support to staff, programmes and projects;
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach and mentor staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget;
- Ability to establish, expand and deepen partnerships and conduct high level policy engagement;
- Value driven and upholding high integrity, a team player possessing strong communication skills, with high level of people related skills in working with cross-functional teams and with partners;
- Technical aptitude – Be an established scholar who can lead conceptualization and design of new programmes, provide high level quality assurance, and mentor technical staff
How to Apply
All application must be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the reference AFIDEP-RTP-Kenya in the subject line.