Close Date: This position remains open until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
About Oxfam International
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organisations working together with partners and local communities in more than 90 countries. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty. Around the globe, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. They save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And they campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them.
In all they do, Oxfam works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
Oxfam’s purpose is to help create lasting solutions to the injustice of poverty. They are part of a global movement for change, empowering people to create a future that is secure, just, and free from poverty. Their vision is a just world without poverty. Oxfam want a world where people are valued and treated equally, enjoy their rights as full citizens, and can influence decisions affecting their lives.
Oxfam International in South Africa has tasked KM Global Consulting with the recruitment of their new Executive Assistant.
The Purpose of the Role
To provide first-class administrative support and coordination of activities for the Executive Director and Board of Oxfam South Africa (OZA) in close coordination with senior management and staff, other parts of the organisation and the wider Oxfam confederation. S/he manages the efficient flow of information and communication to ensure expeditious dissemination and timely action. S/he performs a variety of governance support functions in support of the Oxfam South Africa Board of Directors.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Support for the Oxfam South Africa Executive Director (ED) and Board of Directors
- Manage the Executive Director’s diary and appointment schedule
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the Executive Director. S/he is responsible for the preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of the Executive Director for her signature and making follow-ups when required
- Provide administrative support including drafting correspondence, creating presentation materials and reports for OZA ED and Board
- Arranges all travel, visas, and associated requirements for the Executive Director and Board.
- Ensures that the Executive Director and Board of Directors are kept well informed of and respond to key events and developments (both internal and external) of significance to Oxfam South Africa
- Perform overall internal and external liason function for the ED and Board
- Provide secretarial services to the Board including collating meeting documents and taking minutes of Board meetings
- Manage the expenses submissions for the Executive Director and Board members, ensuring compliance with Oxfam policies and correct authorisation processes
- Organises the logistics of meetings, including Board meetings, regular team meetings, one-to-one meetings, hosting visitors, booking accommodation, events management, and assisting with video and teleconferences
- Keep abreast of activities in the Oxfam confederation and channels information appropriately/ Is the Traffic management
- Deal with telephone enquiries, and monitor e-mail requests, responding where possible or assigning to other staff members for timely follow up
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the Executive Director’s administrative files (paper and electronic copies), secure and confidential paperwork, records, filing and archiving as required.
- Maintains the roster of contacts for easy access and reference.
- Support to external relations activities. i.e. Facilitate the ED and Board’s interaction with various external partners such as governmental officials, donors, civil society, other partners through collaborative and proactive relationship with counterparts and colleagues in those offices
- Implement effective systems/procedures on office safety and security
- Undertaking research and other projects as requested
- Support the collation and distribution of the budget process for OZA ensuring up-to-date information is available in a timely manner
- Provide relevant and timely reporting, analysis and information to key stakeholders as requested
- Provide support and materials for communications activities including updating the OZA website and providing support for social media support activities such as facebook and twitter
- Build effective working relationships internally and externally with key stakeholders
- Participate in team meetings, recording minutes as needed
- Organise OZA events as needed
- Undertake other duties as reasonably assigned by the Line Manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- 5-10 Years in an executive assistant or similar role
- Demonstrable experience in an executive support role including responsibility for:
- Maintenance of secure and confidential paperwork, records and files
- Diary management, meeting and travel logistics
- Invoice and expense processing
- Drafting reports and minute taking
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Ability to draft reports, letters and other written communications which can be distributed to other offices and organisations
- Excellent communication skills including verbal and written English
- Proven experience of administration, good time-management, and organisational skills
- Superior attention to detail and strong problem solving skills
- Basic understanding of financial systems and controls and ability to apply to own work and circumstances
- Ability to work on own initiative, manage own time, work to deadlines and manage conflicting priorities without supervision and upward referral
- Ability to liaise with a wide range of people, both internally and externally, and at many levels, with credibility, tact and diplomacy
- Takes a proactive approach to problem solving and work prioritisation
- Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in all aspects of working
- Is a positive and supportive team member, is adaptable with ability to work and relate to people of diverse backgrounds and is highly personable
- Takes responsibility and initiative for finding out things and expanding own knowledge; understands own contribution to the whole; shows commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and objectives including commitment to promoting diversity and gender equality
- Recognizes responsibility to help others do their job effectively
- Possess a flexible approach to working hours,
- Prior working experience with international organizations is strongly desirable
- Has a right to work in South Africa and
- Has a strong network in key sectors relevant to Oxfam’s work
How to Apply
All applications must be addressed to KM Global Consulting and sent directly to email@example.com stating OXFAM-EA-RSA in the subject line.