Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Deadline: 17 October, 2014
To Start: ASAP
Reports to: Regional Programme Manager – Southern Africa
WaterAid’s vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. In the current global strategy as part of the organisational growth, WaterAid decided to expand its presence in the Southern Africa region to maximise the impact of its global strategy. Following scoping studies, a decision was made to start operations in both Swaziland and Lesotho. Some interventions have been initiated mainly in Swaziland whereas Lesotho would require starting up.
WA is interested in developing the pilot programmes in the two countries between 2014/15 and 2016/17. At the end of this period, an external review of the pilot phase will be conducted to assess the viability of a fully fledged country programmes. WaterAid’s work in the two countries will be in 3 main areas:
- Direct support for WASH service delivery.
- Sector capacity development
- Policy influence and sector monitoring
The purpose of the role is to lead on programme planning, development, effectiveness, quality assurance, learning and impact in the two countries, ensuring that partners have the right capacities to make best use of WaterAid’s programming approaches. The role will also make significant contributions to our influencing work in the two countries, explore collaborative opportunities around programme delivery and advocating for change in how WASH is delivered in the countries, to bring about equitable and sustainable change.
Reporting to the Regional Programme Manager, the Country Team leader will have a strong professional relationship with the Regional Advocacy Manager on country specific policy and advocacy work in line with our global priorities; and with the Regional Technical Adviser on technical aspects of our service delivery in line with global priorities.
As the most senior member of the team, the Team Leader is responsible for the development and successful delivery of the country plans for the period 2014/15 and 2016 /17 in line with WaterAid’s global strategy. As a result the Team Leader will contribute to the development of a long-term strategic direction for the new country programmes.
Through a strong strategic leadership to the country team promote a management culture that is supportive, empowering and collaborative towards successful delivery of the programmes.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop WaterAid Lesotho and Swaziland’s strategic thinking on programmes, policy and learning based on a detailed sector analysis that reflects WaterAid’s overall vision and strategy
- Successfully develop and deliver the approved country plan in line with WaterAid’s overall vision and strategy through effective day-to-day management of WaterAid in Lesotho and Swaziland
- Represent WaterAid and strengthen external relationships with a range of actors and ensure that WaterAid Lesotho and Swaziland is acknowledged as a leader in the sector.
- Review quality of programme work at the country programme level to provide assurance to the Regional Programme Manager and Head of Southern Africa Region that the programme performance meets WaterAid’s standards.
- Support partners to develop high quality Multi – Year Plans and Budgets, support and ensure high quality operational plans are developed.
- Monitor the implementation of the WaterAid Lesotho and Swaziland’s work plan, and ensure that strategic and operational objectives are achieved effectively, and in line with WaterAid’s overall policies.
- Encourage and actively promote cross sectoral linkages so that WASH is mainstreamed in other sectors and strong links are established with other sectors
- Oversee management and monitoring of income and expenditure budget for strategic plans, as well as ensure effective financial controls are implemented and monitored in compliance with WaterAid global policy
- Contribute effectively as an active member of the Southern Africa Regional Management Team and engage on regional / WA International initiatives as appropriate
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably requested by the Regional Programme Manager and/or Head of Southern Africa Region.
- Degree or professional qualification in a relevant subject
- Post graduate qualification in a related subject would be desirable
- Proven ability to strategically lead and manage relationships of a team of professionals
- Experience in strategic planning development and programme management
- Experience of developing key strategic and operational approaches
- Proven experience of influencing and negotiating and networking
- Experience of working in development, and preferably some exposure to the water and sanitation sector
- Experience of working in Lesotho and Swaziland and a proven commitment to long term, sustainable development in the country
- Experience of working with people from a variety of backgrounds
- A proficient level of English and local languages
- Experience of managing large budgets with diverse international donor base
- Proven experience of heading a Country Office
- Proven experience in managing organisational growth and change
- Experience of community-based water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion projects
- Experience of developing key strategic and operational partnerships with NGOs and Government for programme interventions
- A proficient level of local language
- An understanding of participative hygiene promotion approaches and methodologies
- Ability to develop innovative approaches to development problems.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent directly to email@example.com stating the CTL-LS/SWA in the subject line.