CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. They place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of our community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and help people rebuild their lives.
Purpose of the Consultancy
CARE South Africa/Lesotho had one of the worst audits within the CARE world in FY 2013 with more than $9,000 in questioned costs, mostly in finance. Some of the issues were related to poor filing, inaccurate account coding and the lack of understanding of working with 2 business units when Pamodzi went “live.” Thus, the CO has spent significant time cleaning up. In preparation for FY14 external Audit, the CO needs somebody to finalize with the reconciliation of the cash and bank accounts and review adequacy of support documentation for FY14 expenses as it is critical in preparation for the FY14 A-133 audit.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following;
- Assist with the analysis of accounting transactions for donor reporting purposes
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations and verify the bank balance with the general ledger
- Perform monthly payroll reconciliations
- Review and audit transaction documents to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Assist with accounts payable services including reviewing and auditing vendor payments and reconciling accounts payable ledger
- Accounting and analysis responsibility for other general ledger accounts and activities
Education, Experience and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management or equivalent or Chartered Accountant finalist or equivalent with audit background
- At least three years’ experience as Finance supervisor
- Three to Five years’ experience in not-for-profit financial management and accounting
- Thorough understanding of financial accounting, budgeting and reporting management processes
- Relevant understanding of donor polices and procédures
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures
- Ability to work on teams, detailed and understand the larger picture
- Oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and financial software applications
How to Apply
All applications must be addressed to KM Global Consulting and sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference CARE-Finance-RSA in the subject line.