Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About the Kampala Pharmaceuticals Industries
Kampala Pharmaceutical Industries (1996) Ltd (KPI) is part of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) which is a group of development agencies working in economic, social and cultural development, primarily in Asia and Africa.
KPI falls under the Aga Khan Fund for development (AKFED) especially the Industrial Promotion Service’s group of companies whose focus is support the economic development of local industry.
Kampala Pharmaceutical Industries (1996) Ltd is the largest pharmaceutical manufacturer in Uganda with around 300 employees. The factory is centrally located in the capital city of Kampala from where we supply our products to all parts of the country and export to the East African region.
KPI manufacturers of essential quality medicines in a range of therapeutic areas with a special emphasis on malaria which is a major contributor to the burden of disease in East Africa. The company has a range of over 70 registered products in Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, South Sudan, and Rwanda.
Responsible for leading, directing and coordinating all activities of the company, the GM’s key focus is the efficient management of the daily operations of the company in accordance with the goals, objectives and aspirations of the organization whilst delivering profitability as per a rolling three year strategic plan.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategy Development, Planning and Reporting:
- In liaison with Sector Head, formulate the company’s strategic objectives and table to the board for discussion and decision on ratification.
- Ensure accomplishment of the organizations mission and growth objectives.
- Preparing and presenting annual budgets (capital and revenue) and operating plans for the Board.
- Ensure all financial and non financial reporting requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Operational Management:
- Manage business performance including P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow and investments.
- Streamline operations to achieve the operating budget and maximize value in key business areas and drive exceptional business performance.
- Overseeing production planning and control including:
- Production plans
- Inventory management.
- Optimum machine utilization.
- Manpower planning.
- Cost center analysis
- Overall working capital management
- Managing operational efficiency and quality control including:
- Improving plant efficiency and downtime
- Material wastage control
- Finished product quality inspection
- Oversee the timely preventative maintenance for plant, machinery and buildings.
- Implement stringent project management processes to ensure timely and cost effective development of key projects.
- Implementing appropriate pricing policies determined by production, market trends and budget requirements.
3. Relationship Management:
- Proactively maintaining frequent contacts with major customers, trade associations and Government agencies.
- Continuously evaluate the environment and consumer trends and advise on improved strategies to counter challenges and providing technical input to maintain market leadership and competitiveness.
- Develop effective and innovative lobbying strategies to industry and Government in order to promote investment in local manufacturing.
4. Staff Management and Leadership:
- Prepare policies and implement programmes to ensure staff development and training.
- Ensure maintainance of cordial labour relations.
- Identify, implement and monitoring key performance indicators for the business and functional managers.
The ideal candidate will have the following profile:
- A Bachelors degree from a recognized university
- An MBA would be an added advantage
- Experience of working within a multi-cultural environment is essential
- Commercial acumen with an entrepreneur’s spirit
- Strong senior management skills necessary, including strategic thinking
- A broad pharmaceutical experience (marketing, product development, production, finance, etc) would be a distinct advantage
- Strong leadership qualities, yet able to be hands on
- Experience of working in Africa would be valuable
- A passion for providing health care to the needy.
How to Apply
All applications must be addressed to KM Global Consulting and sent directly to email@example.com stating KPI-GM-Uganda in the subject line.