About the Role
- To manage all aspects of the business development efforts including prospecting and acquiring potential investors & donors locally as well as internationally through supporting fundraiser GFOI, Resource Development (RD) and GFN countries that includes multiple income streams – such as foundations, governments, corporate, High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI), etc and managing existing relationships.
- The position holder will work closely with Habitat for Humanity Lesotho National Director to develop effective strategies for fund raising with existing as well as newly established partnership structure.
- The holder of this position will also work with the teams across Africa Area Office-Habitat for Humanity International and other external partners to deliver successful fundraising activities targeted at bilateral, multi-lateral, private, foundations, corporate and high net worth individuals (HNWI). This role is primarily responsible for the management, growth, and development of strategic funding relationships both existing and new.
- The role will leverage current key partnerships whilst building and assessing a pipeline of new partners to support Habitat Lesotho agreed annual targets.
- The position holder will be responsible for ensuring that Habitat Lesotho identify, engage, and influence key shelter and WASH stakeholders in Lesotho responsible for and engaged in promoting Habitat Lesotho program outcomes for vulnerable community. This includes collaboration with government, NGOs, UN, donors, Private sectors and other humanitarian coordination decision makers, shelter and WASH implementing partners, and large-scale development initiatives to improve shelter needs.
Key Performance Areas
In liaison with appropriate senior staff/teams:
- Develop and manage the implementation of an overall fundraising strategy plan which includes a diverse range of funding streams
- Identify and track funding prospects as they arise and maintain the appropriate tracking tools in collaboration with GFOI and Resource Development
- Play a key role in the development and maintenance of Habitat Lesotho’s database of potential funders, consultants’ roaster, and partners for business development
- Report to Senior Management Team (SMT) on progress against fundraising targets
- Develop and support new and current partnership engagements including identifying and building relationships with prospective collaborative partners
- Develop and manage positive and constructive relationships with potential funders and internal and external stakeholders, including meeting stakeholders and funders on own or with programme staff
- Contribute to the efforts in identifying new donors by exploring new funding opportunities from institutional donors.
- Conduct Donor Visits and develop donor mapping and Funding Action Plans.
- Manage Habitat Lesotho’s engagement in active frameworks and consortia, including maintaining relationships with other framework/consortia participants and coordinating meetings where required.
- Oversee and support the development of concept notes and proposals as appropriate in liaison with Finance, MEAL and Programme teams by managing the bid process, contributing to technical proposal development, and budgeting, and developing strategies for bids.
- Keep up to date with existing and potential Habitat Lesotho programmes and those of our competitors
- Develop and maintain up to date Habitat Lesotho Capacity Statement document and widely shared when a potential opportunity exists.
- Develop and maintain key resources to support programme bids including standing documents, databases of activity costs and day rates, database of financial and other relevant policies
- Monitor new funding options and work as focal coordinator for new project applications in cooperation with SMT
- Ensure overall grant management administration and handle administrative procedures at the start-up of projects.
- Transfer the administrative procedures to the relevant staff once the project is up and running, provide on-going advice and supervision.
- Ensure that the G/NG has been properly completed from the onset of pre-positioning
- Develop annual fund-raising plans and implement
- Provides support to the National Director in process of joining consortia and establishment of strategic partnership.
- Identifies and builds strategic relationships with key personnel at INGOs, private sectors, government wings and bilateral and multilateral agencies.
- Develops partnerships with other NGOs whose work is relevant to HABITAT LESOTHO’s Core Programs for resource leveraging.
- Vigorously seeks grant funding opportunities from website, business magazines and from local corporate.
- Supporting the development of the partnership and fundraising strategy, as well as the annual plan
- Executing fundraising campaigns and event through local campaigns
- Establishing, maintaining, and strengthening relations with key funding partners, members, and other external stakeholders
- Developing and managing cultivation activities and high- level events
- Writing and producing compelling major proposals and campaign reports
Network and Image Building
- Liaises with communications to produce and circulate materials aimed at increasing HABITAT LESOTHO visibility through leaflets, brochures, annual reports, etc.
- Manages and maintain appropriate relationships with various contact persons through HABITAT LESOTHO’s strategy.
- Works with programs to ensure that HABITAT LESOTHO attends key government and other major agencies meetings (encouraging thematic attendance).
- Participate in networking as required to ensure that HABITAT LESOTHO’s interests are represented and to acquire relevant information.
- Suggest relevant networks from the funding point of view.
- Participate in cluster meetings and other relevant forums.
- Identifies grant opportunities, compiles executive summaries detailing the nature and guidelines of such opportunities and share with programs
- Compiles and shares with Programs relevant institutional guidance materials on grants management and acquisition. Ensure the grants policy is understood and complied with Gathers relevant and timely intelligence information necessary for grant acquisition and partnership building
- Works with Program teams to identify local funding opportunities.
- Lead the development of grants proposals and ensure compliance with donor requirements
- Identifies capacity building opportunities and coordinate grants trainings
- Actively participate in the preparation of the National Office plans and budgets to ensure plans conform to the organisation’s strategic direction.
- Participate in capacity building of HABITAT LESOTHO team, and sub-grantees
- Develop the capacity of involved programme and project staff with the aim to enable them to handle all aspects of obtaining and managing funds from donors.
- Contribute to the development of training material and “tools” in fund raising and partnership.
- Conduct training in funding techniques.
- Contribute to the development of grant management (pre- award) materials.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (eg. Social Sciences, International Development Studies, International management, Marketing & Communications, public relations/business development)
- Masters Degree will be an added advantage
- At least five years’ proven track record of fundraising experience in a non- profit organization or international organizations.
Knowledge and Expertise
- Sound knowledge of institutional and government donors and funding policies;
- Experience in developing and implementing successful entrepreneurial approaches to business development with the corporate sector
- Experience with working in Public Private Partnership environment
- Excellent relationship building and relationship management skills with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven experience in external organizational representation;
- Good research and analytical skills; Strong verbal and written communication skills, fluent in English both in writing and in speech.
- Sense for cultural diversity
- Experience with design & implementation of business development strategies and understanding of fundraising concepts,
- Experience in leading development of large scale and strategic proposals for major donors USG, EU, DFID, foundations, etc including the development of project budgets.
How to Apply
All applications should be sent directly to email@example.com stating HH-BDP-LSO in the subject line.