OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. It‘s vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these ten countries, according to local conditions.
The Team Leader will provide leadership to the Economic & Social Justice cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for building and managing the cluster team in the Regional Office and Country Offices. He/she will develop and align the cluster’s strategy with OSISA’s overall strategy. The Team Leader will play a key role in building strategic partnerships with external and internal stakeholders. S/he will be responsible for overseeing and managing staff within the Economic & Social Justice cluster. The incumbent will oversee the management of a portfolio of grants within his/her cluster, ensuring adherence to policies and procedures. S/he will ensure integration and synergies within and across programmes, contained within the Economic & Social Justice cluster. He/she will oversee the development and implementation of the Economic & Social Justice cluster strategies and work plans. S/he will oversee the management and delivery of the Economic & Social Justice cluster’s budget. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing shared frameworks relevant to the cluster.
- Provides strategic direction to the programmes within the Economic & Social Justice cluster.
- Oversees and directs the OSISA response to programme opportunities in the region.
- Oversees the development of sustainable long- term research initiatives to support OSISA’s work in the relevant cluster area.
- Facilitates the research and investigation necessary to maximise programme development and/or initiation within the Economic & Social Justice cluster.
- Oversees programme formulation.
- Oversees programme implementation including development of programme strategies, budgets and work plans.
- Working closely with other Cluster Team Leaders, the Team Leader will identify emerging trends and establish thought leadership, while managing the integration of all programmes within the Economic & Social Justice cluster and across the organization.
- Oversees the financial and administrative management functions of programmes within the Economic & Social Justice cluster.
- Ensures compilation of budgets in accordance with budget policy and regulations.
- Ensures the Economic & Social Justice cluster’s compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Ensures that programme management and reporting frameworks and support tools are in place to consistently and accurately report on programmes.
- Regularly analyse the impact of programmes across the Economic & Social Justice cluster and make recommendations to improve where required.
- Ensures learnings within and across programme units contained in the Economic & Social Justice cluster.
- Conducts suitable and sufficient risk assessments for programmes in the Economic & Social Justice cluster, record the findings and recommend initiatives to reduce risk.
- Supporting the Grants office, the Economic & Social Justice Cluster Team Leader will oversee the management and tracking of grants as well as the compliance and reporting requirements.
- Ensures capacity building of grantees to become effective in managing their own grants.
- Oversees the timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting from grantees.
- Ensures the accurate and effective use of the Grants Management System (GMS)
Communication and Advocacy
- Where required serves as a spokesperson for the organization in dealing with external stakeholders on thematic issues relating to his/her programme.
- Ensures regular and efficient communication within the Economic & Social Justice Cluster.
Work Environment, Management and Staff Development
- Ensures a conducive working environment which promotes staff development, wellbeing and productivity as well as provides management and supervision of staff under the cluster, including relevant programme staff in Country Offices.
- Promotes teamwork, collegiality and effective communication within and between programmes and operational units.
- Integrates the organizational values into the performance of tasks within and across programmes.
- Ensures consistent standards of excellence within the programme.
- A Master’s Degree in Social Science, Law, Human Rights or related fields.
- At least 7 – 10 years overall experience.
- 5 years’ experience in leading programmes related to democracy promotion and good governance, human rights, rule of law, socio-economic development and access to justice in a multi-lateral, intergovernmental, civil society or regional organization setting.
- Experience in leading programmes in at least two thematic programme areas.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully building and leading teams.
How to Apply
All applications must be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org stating OSISA-ESJ-SA in the subject line.