OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. It‘s vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals, and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these 10 countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA is part of a network of autonomous Open Society Foundations, established by George Soros, located in Eastern and Central Europe, the former Soviet Union, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the US.
OSISA recently underwent an internal organizational review process aimed at enabling it to better respond to the challenges and needs of countries in the region in achieving open society and to deliver on its new 2014-2017 strategy.
- The Cluster Team Leader will provide leadership to the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster.
- The incumbent will be responsible for building and managing the clusters team.
- He/she will develop and align the cluster’s strategy with OSISA’s overall strategy.
- The Cluster Team Leader will play a key role in building strategic partnerships with external and internal stakeholders.
- S/he will be responsible for overseeing and managing staff within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster.
- The incumbent will oversee the management of a portfolio of grants within his/her cluster, ensuring adherence to policies and procedures.
- S/he will ensure integration and synergies within and across programmes, contained within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster.
- He/she will oversee the development and implementation of the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster strategies and work plans.
- S/he will oversee the management and delivery of the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster’s budget.
- The incumbent will also be responsible for managing at least one programme within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster.
Key Performance Areas
- Provides strategic direction to the programmes within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster.
- Oversees and directs the OSISA response to programme opportunities in the region.
- Oversees the development of sustainable long term research initiatives to support OSISA’s work in the relevant cluster area.
- Facilitates the research and investigation necessary to maximise programme development and/or initiation within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster. Oversees programme formulation.
- Oversees programme implementation including development of programme strategies, budgets and work plans.
- Working closely with other Cluster Team Leaders, the Team Leader will identify emerging trends and establish thought leadership, while managing the integration of all programmes within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster and across the organization.
- Oversees the financial and administrative management functions of programmes within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster.
- Ensures compilation of budgets in accordance with budget policy and regulations.
- Ensures the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster’s compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Ensures that programme management and reporting frameworks and support tools are in place to consistently and accurately report on programmes.
- Regularly analyse the impact of programmes across the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster and make recommendations to improve where required.
- Ensures learnings within and across programme units contained in the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster. Conducts suitable and sufficient risk assessments for programmes in the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights cluster, record the findings and recommend initiatives to reduce risk.
- Supporting the Grants office, the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights Cluster Team Leader will oversee the management and tracking of grants as well as the compliance and reporting requirements.
- Ensures capacity building of grantees to become effective in managing their own grants.
- Oversees the timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting from grantees.
- Ensures the accurate and effective use of the Grants Management System (GMS).
Communication and Advocacy
- Where required serves as a spokesperson for the organization in dealing with external stakeholders on thematic issues relating to his/her programme.
- Ensures regular and efficient communication within the Rule of Law, Access to Justice & Human Rights Cluster.
Work Environment and Staff Development
- Ensures a conducive working environment which promotes staff development, wellbeing and productivity.
- Promotes teamwork, collegiality and effective communication within and between programmes and operational units.
- Integrates the organizational values into the performance of tasks within and across programmes.
- Ensures consistent standards of excellence within the programme.
- A post graduate degree in Social Science, Law, Human Rights or related fields.
- 5 years’ experience in leading programmes related to democracy promotion and good governance, human rights, rule of law, socio-economic development and access to justice in a multi-lateral, intergovernmental, civil society or regional organization setting.
- Experience in leading programmes in at least two thematic programme areas. Demonstrated experience in successfully building and leading teams.
How to Apply
Since OSISA has requested KM Global Consulting to assist them with recruitment support for this position, all applications should be sent directly to email@example.com with the reference OSISA-HRJL-RSA as the subject head.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.