OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. It‘s vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals, and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these 10 countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA is part of a network of autonomous Open Society Foundations, established by George Soros, located in Eastern and Central Europe, the former Soviet Union, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the US.
OSISA recently underwent an internal organizational review process aimed at enabling it to better respond to the challenges and needs of countries in the region in achieving open society and to deliver on its new 2014-2017 strategy.
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of Operations Director, the Senior Human Resources Manager is responsible for advice to the senior management on the transparent implementation of HR strategies in OSISA, effective delivery of HR services and management of the OSISA Human Resources Unit.
- S/he assesses client needs, interprets and applies the OSISA HR strategy and policies, rules and regulations, establishes internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues.
- The Senior HR Manager promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
- The Senior HR Manager supervises and leads the professional and support staff of the HR unit.
- The Senior HR Manager works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams in OSISA ensuring successful OSISA performance in HR management
Key Performance Areas
Implementation of HR Strategies and Policies
- Implementation of HR strategy in OSISA; effective implementation of the internal control; proper design and functioning of the HR management system.
- Full compliance of HR activities with OSISA strategies, policies and procedures.
- Interpretation of HR policies and procedures and advice to senior managers on their application, taking into account their particular needs.
- Continuous analysis of OSF HR strategy and policies, assessing the impact of changes and making recommendations on their implementation in OSISA.
- Continuous research of the matters related to conditions of service, salaries, allowances and other HR policy matters.
- Elaboration and introduction of measurement indicators, monitoring and reporting on achievement of results.
- Advice to Senior Management on HR new practices and their implementation (succession planning, career development and transition), strategic recruitment, advice on contract modalities, learning plan and performance evaluation).
- OSISA HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, control of the workflows in the HR Unit.
- Leads the advocacy for the implementation, monitoring and compliance of the HR policies including gender and harassment, career development and knowledge management.
- Ensure full compliance and completion by OSISA staff of relevant course including on workplace diversity management, harassment, gender and others. Development of procedures and practices that contribute to enhanced and improved HR management.
Effective human resouces management
- Management of transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes including updated job descriptions, proper job classification, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization and chairing of interview panels, making recommendations on recruitment.
- Oversight of recruitment under OSISA programmes.
- Development and maintenance of data base of job applications.
- Advice to office management on staff member competencies.
- Advice on staff career development and training needs.
- Advice to programme team leaders and managers on transparent and competitive process for programme recruitment, adequate TOR describing terms of payment based on performance, results, standard matrix of recruitment processes and request for contracts.
- Continuous monitoring of the entire OSISA recruitment process.
- Advice to the OSISA management in contracts guidelines pertaining to staffing compliance.
- Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations.
- Leads organisation surveys such as the performance feedback survey, salary survey etc.
- Management of the staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit.
- Close communication with relevant employment relations bodies to ensure compliance with labour legislation.
- Close communication with OSF HR leadership pertaining to integration of policies and procedures.
Staff performance management and career development
- Elaboration and implementation of the protocol for performance management process, facilitation of the process, elaboration of performance evaluation indicators in consultation with the Senior Management.
- Implementation of effective systems for the performance evaluation, including training to supervisor for an effective use of the tool leading to career development.
- Advice on work plan, monitoring and performance team evaluation.
- Effective learning management including establishment of the Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in collaboration with the Senior Management
- Provision of effective counselling to staff on career advancement, development needs, learning possibilities.
- Monitors the accurate recording of all grievance and disciplinary procedures compliance to regulatory concerns regarding employees.
- Handles disciplinary and grievance procedures of Senior Management.
- Manages any CCMA or litigation aspects relevant to employee relations.
Remunerations and staff benefits
- Develops and monitors the remuneration and staff benefits to attract and retain OSISA staff.
- Develops the safety policies within OSISA and monitors the adherence thereof.
- Liaises with payroll service providers and adhere to all terms and conditions agreed upon in the service level agreement.
- Develops the employee benefit programme and oversees the implementation thereof.
- A post graduate degree in Human Resources Management.
- 6 – 8 years experience in HR, of which 5 are at senior level
Leading and deciding
- Takes control and exercises leadership. Initiates action, gives direction and takes responsibility.
Interacting and presenting
- Communicates and networks effectively.
- Successfully persuades and influences others.
- Relates to others in a confident and relaxed manner.
Supporting and co-operating
- Supports others and shows respect and positive regard for them in social situations.
- Puts people first, working effectively with individuals and teams, clients and staff.
- Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement those of the organisation.
- Interpersonal and supervisory skills in both informal and formal settings, and in challenging situations as well as day to day encounters relating to programme units.
How to Apply
Since OSISA has requested KM Global Consulting to assist them with recruitment support for these positions, all applications should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference OSISA-HRM-RSA as the subject head
Closing date for submission is 25th July 2014
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.