OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. Its vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals, and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these 10 countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA is part of a network of autonomous Open Society Foundations, established by George Soros, located in Eastern and Central Europe, the former Soviet Union, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the US.
OSISA recently underwent an internal organizational review process aimed at enabling it to better respond to the challenges and needs of countries in the region in achieving open society and to deliver on its new 2014-2017 strategy.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Programmes, the Executive Associate will perform timely, accurate and professional administrative and secretarial functions for the Programmes office. S/he will ensure the effective and efficient functioning of the Programmes Office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignments, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
The Executive Associate acts as the liaison with the Regional Board. The Executive Associate to the Head of Programmes works in close collaboration with OSISA staff, other OSF Foundations and partners to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas.
- Office Maintenance/Administration.
- Diary Management
- Regional Board Administration
- Office Communications
The incumbent will have the following attributes
- Experience working in an NGO/foundation/human rights environment;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills;
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English (ability to speak or write in any of the other languages widely spoken in Africa, e.g. French, Portuguese, or Kiswahili will be an added advantage);
- Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Very strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and other internet based applications;
- Experience in grant making and management;
- Ability to work under pressure and multi-task; and
- Punctuality and efficiency
- Ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural environment
Qualifications and Experience
- Secondary education with specialized secretarial training. University Degree or equivalent advantageous.
- At least five years’ experience in administration.
How to Apply
Since OSISA has requested KM Global Consulting with the recruitment for this position, all applications must be sent directly to email@example.com stating OSISA-EA-RSA in the subject line.