WaterAid Zambia commenced work in Zambia in 1994 working initially with Churches and NGO based organizations in Gwembe and Sinazongwe Districts. In 1995 a partnership begun with the Department of Health in Monze district supporting them in a programme of hand-dug well and latrine construction, community mobilization and hygiene promotion. WaterAid subsequently expanded to Siavonga  and Namwala  Districts in Southern province and in Kafue District  in Lusaka province. In 2001 activities extended to Kazungula and Kaoma districts. Initially all the partnerships were with either District WASHE Committees or DHMT. In 2005 efforts were made to work with local NGOs and District Councils. The project activities are consistent with WASHE approach being promoted at national level. In April 2006, WaterAid phased out of Namwala, Itezhitezhi, Kaoma and Kafue districts. At the same time activities were scaled up in Monze, Siavonga and Kazungula, and 3 districts (Milenge, Samfya and Mwense) were identified in Luapula province.
Up until 2004, the Water Aid programme in Zambia had been almost entirely rural. Zambia being significantly urbanized, the programme has identified the need to focus on urban and particularly on peri urban areas to improve water supply and sanitation. A scoping study was undertaken in 2003-04 to inform the development of an urban programme. Over the last two years two local NGOs have been supported to implement small urban sanitation projects in peri urban areas of Monze and Livingstone. The challenge is to scale up WaterAid’s urban work while continuing to provide effective support to existing partners. During 2005 efforts were made to enhance the quality of construction of watsan facilities supported and enhance the quality of water through water quality monitoring.
WaterAid’s current country strategy (2011-2016) came into operation in April 2010. As per the Country Strategy, activities were scaled up in Monze, Siavonga and Kazungula, and 3 districts (Milenge, Samfya and Mwense) were identified in Luapula province. Country strategy focuses on urban work particularly on urban sanitation and outlines the need for scaling up WaterAid’s urban programme. Water Aid is committed to improve on the quality of the facilities that it supports to achieve sustainable coverage and to get value for money. Water Aid is committed to enhance quality in all its work and promote affordable technical innovation.
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Head of Programmes, the successful candidate will be responsible for effective management of grants and leading fundraising initiatives across WaterAid Zambia programme. The post is key in the management of all donor relationships and works in close collaboration with WaterAid Zambia programme and finance teams and fundraising teams in the WaterAid members.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Lead in the development and implementation of a Fundraising Strategy and Annual Fundraising Plans for WaterAid in Zambia country programme
- Conduct regular donor scoping and support the country programme to secure new funding streams for programmes and projects.
- Work with Zambia Country Programme and Fundraising teams in WaterAid members (Australia, Japan, Sweden, UK and USA) to develop and/or identify suitable projects to offer donors.
- Ensure effective practices in management of existing, new and prospective donors.
- Proactively identify funding opportunities for the Country Programme
- Initiate and coordinate fundraising campaigns and events in Zambia and maximise the potential for new opportunities for income generation.
- Assist Programme Partners to develop and implement their fundraising strategies to meet ongoing and strategic WASH development needs in Zambia.
- Provide guidance and quality assurance support for proposals and donor reports
Donor Contracts Management
- Ensure effective operational planning and budget setting in line with donor contractual agreements.
- Review all key partner documentation e.g. plans and budgets, funding agreements to ensure compliance with donor requirements
- Co-ordinate and convene parties responsible for restricted funding management e.g. as part of Restricted Income Management and Approval process
- Maintain an effective contract management system for the Country Programme, including management of all critical donor contract information and reporting processes.
- Assist all WaterAid and partner staff in understanding and conforming to specific donor requirements in all aspects of project implementation, management and monitoring
- Initiate and coordinate all funding contracts, from proposal development to monitoring and report writing, and donor relationship building for the Country Programme.
- Organise and coordinate donor visits liaising between programme staff and member fundraisers to ensure the visits are of high standard
- Monthly updating of the Country Programme funding matrix ensuring high quality information is provided for submission to the Senior Programme Manager& Country Representative for review and approval
- Prepare and submit to Head of Programme high quality monthly Restricted Income Fund Reports
- Provide oversight and backstopping for the contractual requirements of donor funded projects to ensure good contract management and good donor relations.
- Present, negotiate and ensure contractual obligations are meet for prospective and existing WaterAid donors
- Generate, organise and share relevant donor intelligence to facilitate effective management of donor grants
- Ensure effective coordination and communication with relevant teams in support of good donor management
- Support the Country Representative with Risk Management
- Provide support in the negotiation of donor agreements and their clearance by WaterAid UK, Head of Region and Country Representative
- Review, monitor and document donor funding, policies and trends, and their implications on the WASH Sector
- Contribute to the development of publications and communications materials which have relevance to meeting fundraising and donor relations objectives.
- Contribute to strategic discussions as they relate to resource mobilisation and allocation and determination of investment priorities
- Review and provide quality assurance for all documentation and communication with donors, including proposals, narrative and financial reports for contractual compliance
- Proactively flags to the Country Programme any gaps in capacity needs to meet funder requirements
- Work closely with the Programme staff and Partner Finance Monitoring to support the partners to develop/manage and implement donors funds
- Ensure capacity needs of the WaterAid staff and partners are met in order to enable each programme and partners to effectively manage their fundraising activities and donor reporting requirements
Since WaterAid in Zambia has exclusively requested KM Global Consulting to assist them with the recruitment, all applications must be sent directly to email@example.com stating WATERAID-GF-Zambia in the subject line.