OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. Its vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in ten southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these ten countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA is part of a network of autonomous Open Society Foundations, established by George Soros, located in Eastern and Central Europe, the former Soviet Union, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the US.
OSISA recently underwent an internal organisational review aimed at enabling it to:
- respond better to the challenges countries face in the region;
- achieving open societies, and
- deliver on its 2015-2018 strategy.
Reporting to the Democracy and Governance Cluster Team Leader, the Programme Manager will be responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the Media & Access to Information Programme. S/he will be required to identify opportunities for grantmaking within the programme and manage the provision of grants to key national and regional partners. S/he will play a strong role in facilitating networks amongst OSISA partners within the programme and in research, convening dialogue and debate on issues relevant to OSISA’s overall mandate.
Key Performance Areas
- Programme Initiation: Actively identifies opportunities within the programme that are aligned to the OSISA strategy. Provides intellectual leadership in programme strategy development and review.
- Programme Implementation: Working closely with other programme managers, ensures the integration of the programme within the Cluster and across the organisation
- Programme Impact: Ensures joint and collaborative work with other programmes to ensure maximum impact from OSISA programmes.
- Grant Making: Works with the Grants Unit to identify and manage pre and post award compliance issues as well as reporting requirements. Responsible for due diligence, managing and tracking grants within his/her portfolio.
- Communication and Advocacy: Identifies key opportunities for the promotion of OSISA ideals. Working closely with the Cluster Team Leader and the Communications Manager, develops advocacy initiatives related to programme issues at regional and national level.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to work in multi-cultural and multinational contexts
- Grant management
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure with composure
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Willingness to travel
Qualifications and Experience
A Masters Degree in Social Sciences, Development or Media Studies, Journalism and Access to Information programming. At least five years’ experience as a Programme Manager in a bilateral, multilateral, civil society, regional organisation setting. A working knowledge of and demonstrable familiarity with media and access to information context in Southern Africa is a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
Since OSISA has requested KM Global Consulting with the recruitment for this position, all applications must be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org stating OSISA-MAI-RSA in the subject line.