OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. It‘s vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these ten countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA is part of a network of autonomous Open Society Foundations, established by George Soros, located in Eastern and Central Europe, the former Soviet Union, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the US.
Under the supervision of the Operations Director, the Senior Finance and Admin Manager will oversee the IT, Travel & Logistics and Finance units of OSISA. He/she has the responsibility for ensuring these units function effectively and cohesively, as each unit’s functions are vital to OSISA’s service delivery. The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will oversee the financial provisions of OSISA’s grants, which form the essence of OSISA’s work. He/she will be responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of technical efforts and field activities related to the organisation by providing accounting, administrative, management, and logistical support to facilitate the implementation of program activities.
Key Performance Areas
Financial Policies, Procedures and Systems
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director and Operations Director, the Senior Finance and Admin Manager will develop OSISA’s financial strategies and policies.
- In addition to developing and maintaining a sound and effective system of internal control, the Senior Finance and Admin Manager will safeguard OSISA’s assets (financial and physical) against fraud, loss, or misuse.
- He/She will ensure that statutory returns were updated accurately and submitted within time to the registrar of companies and will Preparing tax computations and ensuring that payment dates are met, The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will also be responsible for interfacing with tax authorities in the jurisdictions within which OSISA operates.
Provision of Grants
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will manage and oversee the financial provision and reconciliation of grants within OSISA.
- He/she must continually demonstrate the ability to use sound business judgment in assuring that all costs are reasonable and necessary for the completion of OSISA programs as well as ensure that any program-related expenditure in the field is in accordance with OSISA policies and best business practices, or any other conditions imposed by third party donors where applicable.
Provision of Travel
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will manage and oversee the financial provision and reconciliation of travel within OSISA.
- He/she will supervise the Travel and Logistics Manager and manage OSISA’s strategic approach to travel (travel policy) including negotiations with all vendors, and credit-card management
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will manage and oversee the payments and reconciliation of OSISA’s creditors and advise the Operations Director when it comes to managing suppliers and amounts owing to suppliers.
- He/she will communicate regularly with all stakeholders on accounts payable, money collection, invoice processing issues, supplier queries and priorities.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manger will be responsible for all the monthly and quarterly financial reports of OSISA.
- He/she will develop and maintain budget policies and procedures.
- The Senior Finance Manager will engage with all business units throughout OSISA and assist in the formulation of each unit’s budget.
- He/she will monitor, forecast, analyse and report on each unit’s budget and make recommendations.
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manger will be responsible for the implementation of OSISA’s financial strategy, internal accounting policies and common financial systems.
- He/she will manage OSISA’s bank accounts, as well as be responsible for monthly/annual maintenance of OSISA’s chart of accounts.
- He/she will also perform consolidations.
- He/she will also manage the finance personnel and provide direct supervision to regional offices.
- S/he will oversee the identification of risks facing the organisation and the implemention of the appropriate interventions and or controls.
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will develop and maintain OSISA’s internal fixed-asset policies and procedures.
- He/she will manage fixed assets and projects which include accounting for additions, disposals, basis adjustments, transfers, depreciation and other transactions
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will ensure all units monthly management and financial statement reports are prepared and comply with OSF and statutory guidelines as applicable.
- He/she will prepare consolidated financial statements for senior management and internal/external audit review and reconcile the inter-company account with finance heads of country offices.
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will engage with internal/external auditors, liaise with regional office in Budapest and head office in New York on audit and other matters as well as coordinate OSISA’s year-end and cyclical auditing processes.
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will develop OSISA’s payroll polices and procedures.
- He/she will manage the external providers payroll process and ensure there is sufficient cash within OSISA’ bank accounts to meet monthly requirements and related tax liabilities.
- He/she will ensure timeously payments of third parties.
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will maintain treasury policies and processes within OSISA.
- The Senior Finance Admin Manager will ensure sufficient funds were available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements.
- He/she will also ensure that OSISA bank accounts are reconciled timely and that financial risks related to OSISA’s obligations, as well as on its foreign exchange positions are mitigated.
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will prepare monthly cash flow statements for each business unit and country office and ensure the transfer of funds as required.
- He/she will also be responsible for maintaining relationships with the organisations bankers.
Work Environment and Staff Development
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will ensure the travel; finance and IT unit have an environment that promotes growth, wellbeing, productivity, cohesive teamwork and effective communication.
- He/she will be responsible for ensuring these units integrate themselves with other units within OSISA, forming one big team.
- The Senior Finance and Admin Manager will foster OSISA’s values within team and ensure staff is developed to their best potential.
Minimum Qualification Required
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other related field or a CPA/(CA) or other equivalent qualification
- 7 – 10 years of overall experience
- 5 years experience at senior management level
How to Apply
Since OSISA has requested KM Global Consulting with the recruitment for this position, all applications should be sent directly to email@example.com stating OSISA-SFM-RSA in the subject line.